Teen Wolf 3.23: Insatiable

All season long Teen Wolf has been trashing every single cliché that teen dramas have been know for, and in ‘Insatiable’ that subversion reached its climax; a tragic, shocking and game changing climax. Beacon Hills will never be the same.

Allison Argent, the first love, the “it” girl, the newly evolved action heroine, has been killed off, and I think it’s a death that’s going to stick.

After this episode finished and I had finally gotten over the shock of what just happened, I started to think about season 1. Teen Wolf was so different back then, almost no comparison to the relentless, unforgiving and undeniably entertaining show it is now. Forgetting the mythology, the over emphasis on who plays lacrosse (well, can’t say no to a few locker scenes, to be fair) and how annoying Stiles used to be, it’s Allison that I’m thinking about most of all right now.

It’s only now that I’m realising how much she’s changed. Not just in how badass she’s become in a fight, but how she’s developed and grown as a singular unit, completely seperate from Scott. It was after the series placed the epic love story on the back burner and focused on what really works that we saw her become her own person. She no longer depended on the male lead to make sense. She wasn’t Allison, Scott’s girlfriend. She was Allison Argent, the wolf hunter.

She’s become the greatest and most devastating example of how incredibly unforgiving, devastating and sensational Teen Wolf has become.

Right now it’s difficult to say what direction the show will take in light of Allison’s death. There’s still so much left to be wrapped up in next week’s finale, with The Nogitsune still loose and wolf hunters on the prowl, but it’s fair to say that the show has been irrevocably changed.

‘Insatiable’ started out as a typical action packed episode of Teen Wolf, and a pretty great one at that, but ended with its biggest statement to date. It isn’t just a shameless hunk show anymore. It’s an exciting, surprising and dark take on the once thought standardised teen fantasy genre. Where do we go from here?

9/10

Plus

I love that Coach didn’t know who Kira was.

I think Allison’s death, as sad as it is, might mean good things for Kira next season.

I guessed during Allison’s big speech that either her or her father would die, but I was pretty sure it was going to be the latter, more expendable one.

Will the twins make it?

He Said, She Said

Allison: “I’m here to save my best friend.”
Scott: “I can to save mine.”
Isaac: “I just didn’t feel like doing any homework.”

Nogitsune: “I eat what you feel, and I’m insatiable.”

Scott: “I can’t take your pain.”
Allison: “It’s because it doesn’t hurt.”

Also posted at Doux Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment