Veronica Mars 4.00: FBI

There were some aspects of a Veronica Mars: FBI series that worked, but as a long-time fan of the series, a jump to the fourth season with a new lease on life wouldn’t have gone over too well. Where were the characters we’d grown to love? Where was the young but loveable teen girl we’d gotten to know? There were some sell-able ideas here, but as a re-tooling of a moderately successful series, I never really got why they though it could work better than the show they already had.

Sure, you couldn’t really derive much from a 12 minute short, but the main idea behind the proposed fourth season was laid down in a way that would have given those taking the revised format into consideration, a taste of what to expect.

The series still retained most of Ronnie’s effortlessly bad-ass quips and general attitude, and it sold some interesting new characters along the way. The new atmosphere was well depicted and given the tiny budget, looked pretty professional. The stories seemed the kind of thing you’d expect from a ‘Veronica does LA’ set-up, too, and I think what was presented gave a valuable indication as to the direction they could have taken, which wasn’t all bad.

Though I would have much preferred to see Veronica continue on from where it left off, seeing her enter her sophomore year at Hearst, if this is what it took to see the series continue on, I would have remained loyal to it. All these years later though, I’m a little glad it never happened. There was only a miniscule chance of success, and if its failure had been at the expense of the quality of the shows first three years, I don’t think it’s something I would have taken lightly.

Originally I closed this little review out with how minuscule the chances are of the show continuing on in any format, but then Kickstarter happened and my mind was blown. Suffice to say, I’m even happier now that this never took off, long-shot potential or not.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment